Monday, August 22, 2011

Pipes and Teeth

Last week we had a water pipe burst under our driveway! Initially we thought it would cost us thousands of dollars, but, with the help of great friends from church, we were able to put in a new pipe for under $1,000. Ken had emailed 5 friends to come and help dig and about 15 guys showed up. With much sweat and hard labor, they bored a new tunnel under our driveway and dug a trench up to the house. They then laid a 110 foot copper pipe up to our house.Today I paid a visit to the dentist for a new crown and a deep gum cleaning, totalling over $1,000. This got me thinking about how frustrating it is to spend money on things that you don't really get to see and enjoy but are so necessary.
Don't get me wrong, I am so thankful for God's provision in our lives! But these unseen money pits are unfortunate. How much more exciting it would be to redo a bathroom or something...

2 comments:

Cup of Joe with three sugars said...

I feel your pain! Julia had a sore tooth, and we thought it was a cavity. WRONG! Impacted tooth due to her six yr old molars coming in sideways. She has to have two teeth pulled on Fri (prayers appreciated!), and then orthodontist wants her to wear a spacer. Wow! $$$$$$ and car repairs. But when I hear about people dying of starvation in Somalia, I thank God for my little ones having full bellies. Its so nice to see all your friends and brothers in Christ helping you guys! Thats a testimony to God's love. Praying all your bills quiet down for a season!!! Hugs! :o)

Mom & Bill said...

Wow, how wonderful to have soo many guys come to help with the ditch/pipe project. It warmed our hearts to read about friends sacrificially giving of their time and energy to help a family in need. May God bless all who helped, including the youngest member of the team--Brad. :-) So glad it didn't cost thousands! God is soo good! Glad, too, as I am sure you are, about the timing of this situation!
I know what you mean about paying for things that you do not end up really seeing. I would prefer a bathroom redo like you, Lori! :-) Paying off our car 2 years early was a good thing for us, but,....
Well, I know all of us are thankful for God's wonderful provision!