Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Patient

Lila (and I) slept very well last night-the best in about a week, I'd say. I tried to feed her a few times during the night but she wasn't interested. Around 5 am, her breathing started to accelerate so the nurse did some chest percussions (light pounding on the chest) and that did seem to help. She also received a breathing treatment which usually settles her down.
She breastfed a little bit and then the nurse insisted on putting her back on the IV since she hadn't eaten since 9pm. That is fine with me. I don't want her to lose weight or not have enough nurishment. I continue to pump milk and try to keep my supply up.
I was encouraged last night when Lila was awake for a while and was very alert. I even got a few smiles out of her as I played with her. She is improving, it's just going to take time.
Last night I had a few thoughts as I reflected on this whole ordeal:
1. What if Lila didn't respond to the treatment given to her? She, of course, is responding beautifully and we are so thankful! But then I thought about God, as our Parent, wanting to give his treatment of grace to everyone but so many people don't want to accept it or simply don't respond to it. I know how I would feel if I had to just watch Lila slip away and get sicker and sicker. I wonder how much more God feels as He watches so many of the Creation that He made and loves "slip away" and be nonresponsive.
2. Haiti. Enough said, right? Those poor people! Lila has every comfort and treatment possible right here in her own private room in a big, beautiful hospital with her mom and dad by her side and an army of people praying for her. We have so much to be thankful for!

1 comment:

Mom & Bill said...

Lori, glad you both slept well,(not easy in the hosp.), and that you have a bathroom and shower close by now. Thankful that Lila is getting such wonderful care,--IV when needed, meds and treatments, etc. Praying for a good and steady improvement for little Lila! God bless the MDs and staff!
I had some of the same thoughts as you when I had my recent surgery. I couldn't help thinking about Haiti. I walked in, had my procedure and was back home early afternoon. At that exact time, the Haitians were lined up with all sorts of injuries, and told it would be about 2 weeks before they could get treated. Ohhh, how they need our continued prayers and support! God bless all who have given sacrificially of their time and gifts to help those hurting people!
God bless your day there with Lila, Lori! Love & Hugs from us!