Wednesday, July 9, 2008

It's An Interesting Life!

Well, if I ever thought that life in Southern California would be boring, I was wrong! We've been having such a great summer here. We're making and strengthening connections with new friends, exploring new places and enjoying now familiar places, and taking on new responsibilities. It's all good...
On Saturday we had our friends the Denhams over for a dinner of BBQ ribs on the grill. On Sunday we went to church and then to over to our friends' (the Jensens) house for dinner. They also attend church far away and so we are going to have some small group meetings with them and another couple this summer.
On Monday I hosted a MOMS Club meeting at which we planned the August calendar of events for the club. There are lots of fun things coming up! I have accepted the role as secretary for this year. Unfortunately all of the moms on the board have boys and Sky, of course, wishes there were some girls to play with at these board meetings.
On Monday night I completed my last workout of a one month trial at Curves. It's way too expensive to join but I try to take advantage of the free trials when I can. I also had my Talbot wives walking club that night.
On Tuesday I did my first craft for the MOMS Club along with a library story time with the children's librarian. We did a watermelon theme and the kids made a watermelon picture frame magnet. Sky also signed up for the summer reading praogram. She's excited about that. It's pretty easy to earn prizes.
After the library we went to BIOLA for lunch. The cafeteria has a great deal going for the summer-$5 for adults and kids eat free! That includes salad, entrees, dessert, drinks, etc. and the food is very good. We met our friends the Denhams there and while we were eating, Brad did an enormous poop that leaked out of his diaper, down his legs, into his shoes, etc. It was so gross! Luckily we didn't discover it until after we had finished eating. Thankfully Jolene had an extra diaper and wipes since I had left the diaper bag in the car!
That night we brought dinner to one of the fellow faculty members since his father-in-law passed away a few days ago. We ended up eating with them at their insistence and had a nice dinner.
Today I got together with my friend Mary and her kids. They return to Singapore this month so we're trying to squeeze in as much fun stuff as we can before she leaves. Today we went to a Korean supermarket and bakery. Such yummy food! I made a dinner with some meat, sauce and noodles that I had bought there. It was actually pretty good (I usually screw it up).
I advertised with the Talbot wives that I am giving away our baby stuff so we've had a steady flow of women coming through to get things for their babies. I know I culd sell some of it ut it was all given to me and I feel good being able to help others out.
For those of you who have been here to visit us, you'll be interested to know that Golden Spoon (frozen yogurt place) is having a sale this month-only $1 for minis. Are you jealous? You should be! That's reason enough to come and visit us.

2 comments:

Mom & Bill said...

An interesting life, indeed. We're glad that you're having so much fun!!... Congrats, Lori, on the secretary job. Sounds like an active club and with you in it, we know it surely is. They are fortunate to have you with all of your ideas, hard work and enthusiasm...Small group with friends--great! We are so much enjoying our groups this Summer. Life is so full and rich with these friends...It's fun to walk with friends. Glad you have a group! I miss doing that but this week, alone, we heard about some bears around here and we had bear footprints in our garden yesterday... We'll be anxious to hear about the Summer reading program. I always loved that--reading books to you kids before you could read yourself. Grandma B and Uncle Bill may just happen to have a prize for Schuyler, too!!...That pic of Brad behind the cutout is a scream! May God continue to bless you!

Alan goldkin said...

We need little girl stuff, have you got any?
...Alan and Amy, Yaffa, Zahara, Nadav, Rafael and the newest addition, Margalit!